Friday, September 11, 2009

Dayton "Dirt" September 11, 2009

Unfortunately as I write my blog for September 11th, I cannot help to remember that fateful day in 2001 that killed many of our countrymen at the hands of terrorists bent on destroying us. Hopefully I think we all wish the terrorist threat will be solved soon.

On the gardening front, the weather is starting to signal that fall is here or at least almost here with all its festivals celebrating the harvest. Here at the nursery, we’ll be celebrating our own harvest on September 19th and we hope you’ll be able to join us for a variety of activities including hayrides. Check out the entire schedule on our website.

I will be pulling two wagons filled with straw bales and people around the nursery and showing off what we’ve done so far in our Wolf Creek Botanical Garden. I do have a license so don’t be afraid to pile on the wagon!

We’ve been busy working diligently on getting the roadways in shape, creating huge boulder walls to contain high slopes, expanding waterlines and doing various plantings to enhance the garden.

More than one of the customers has asked me when I think the garden will be finished and my crafted answer is that “when I am dead” as to me a garden is a work in progress in which changes occur every year.

Construction on our new barn has started that will sit high on a hill above Wolf Creek Gardens but I don’t expect it to be finished until sometime in November.
September 19, 1890 is also my grandmother’s birthday (my mother’s mother) who just loved vegetable and flower gardening. I can still see her pulling weeds, canning and sitting with a bowlful of beans on her lap that need to have the strings broken off. I can remember asking her why she was digging and replanting Creeping Phlox when I was about 7 years old and her telling me how the old clumps die out and how you must dig up some of the younger ones to replace the old ones.

It’s funny but I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

I don’t mean to nag but remember that September is lawn chore time as its cool nights, warm days and generally moist soil conditions make it an ideal time to start a new lawn or “play” with an existing lawn to get it closer to that elusive state of perfection.

Hope to see you at the festival!

Tom

No comments: