Friday, December 18, 2009

Dayton "Dirt" - December 18, 2009

It seems so strange that it’s only one week until Christmas.

We still have a decent selection of Fraser Fir and Scotch Pine and as I stated before, they are all Ohio fresh! One of the box stores in Wadsworth had an advertisement for inexpensive (cheap) cut trees in which the ad states that the trees were fresh and shipped weekly to the store. I went to inspect these “bargains” and found they were not fresh at all but instead ready to burn!

I know before I would take a tree into my house like that I would put up an artificial.

We don’t have a cut-your-own operation of Christmas trees but if you really want to cut your own, I would recommend Galehouse Tree Farm in Doylestown as their name has been synonymous with Christmas trees for years and years.

It’s still not too late to take a soil test in your lawn or garden or the spread if you need it to raise the pH of the soil.

I’m very excited about showing off our new barn when those of you coming for seminars this winter will be able to see it. I think you’ll like everything about it but right now I don’t like the acoustics as the sound is bouncing off the wooden walls and ceilings.
I have to figure out a solution before the seminars begin (at least I hope to work out a solution)

If you come over to buy a cut tree we’ll be happy to put a fresh cut on the trunk if you’re going to put it up the same day.

We’re still making and delivering grave blankets and wreaths to local cemeteries until noon on Christmas Eve as long as the cemetery office is open in case I have trouble finding the grave site.

I must apologize that we sold out of many wreaths and white pine roping early in the season. When I called for a second, fresher batch of roping on December 3rd, the major supplier for all of Northeast Ohio stated they had sold out and that there would be no more!

Hopefully everyone has all the Christmas shopping done by now. I am “one of those” that waits until the last minute as I really don’t like to shop.

For unusual gifts, the Christkindl Market in downtown Akron is interesting as some of the vendors are from Akron’s sister city in Germany called Chemnitz where many family industries are busily making high quality Christmas ornaments as they have for generations.

Well, hope to see you soon.
Tom

No comments: