Friday, May 14, 2010

Dayton "Dirt" - May 14, 2010

It’s about time to start putting out more tender plants but most of you know that the weather is unpredictable and you still have to be careful. From experience you may have noticed over the years what kind of micro climate you have. In the city or an allotment, it will generally act like a zone 6 climatic zone which enables you in most years to plant now. I know in my own case that the nursery seems much colder than the surrounding area and is truly a climatic zone 5. My mother only lives two miles from the nursery and a frost after mid May in most years is rare. When I see a prediction for an overnight low of 40º F or lower, I know that in almost every case it will frost at the nursery if the sky is clear and the air is still.

Be sure to come in to take a look at all our new varieties of heirloom vegetable plants, strawberry plants, raspberry plants, horseradish, fruit trees, elderberries and blueberry plants.

We’re in a high mode of production now with our blueberry plants so we think you’ll be able to find about anything you want.

Say hello if you see me as I may not readily acknowledge you because of my limited sleep!

Tom

No comments: