Friday, December 31, 2010

Dayton "Dirt" - December 31, 2010

With the end of 2010 upon us, my hope for you in the new year is that we will not have a repeat of last summer’s heat and drought.

Many plant problems I noticed started appearing in late August and September because of the lack of water.

In my opinion, the drought in the Akron area did not end until Thanksgiving Day with a nice slow rain of up to 2 inches that was followed several days later with a similar rain.

The recent snows this past month have helped to restore the water table and soil moisture.

On a more positive note, the holidays are over and you’ll have time to plan your garden for next year and assess your failures and successes of the previous season in order to move forward to a more productive garden.

Some of your gardening resolutions might be:

1. I will pull more weeds in the vegetable and flower garden this coming year before they get out of control.
2. I will grow more food for my family’s consumption and search out locally grown foods
3. I will involve and teach my children more about gardening and the natural world
4. I will review food labels on the products I purchase in the grocery store to understand the nutritional value and sugar content and the possible effects of my food purchase on my health.
5. I will learn how to freeze, dry and can more of the produce I grow at home.
6. I will beautify my property with trees, shrubs and flowers to improve my own yard and my community.
7. I will use less harmful pesticides and fertilizers loaded with phosphorus on my lawn and garden.

I could go on and on but I ‘m sure you get the idea.

By giving just a little more thought and planning the yard and garden, you and your family will be better off health wise and while enhancing your property. You may just spread the contagion beyond your own property line to your entire neighborhood!

Tom

No comments: