Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dayton "Dirt" - April 23, 2010

April 24th at noon, you’ll be getting an earful on growing ericaceous plants (acid loving) in particular, rhododendron and azaleas. I’ve been fascinated with these plants for over forty years because of their bright flower colors, interesting and varied foliage patterns and just their sheer beauty and majesty. I remember visiting David Leach of Madison, Ohio in May of 1976 so that I could see some of his breeding programs first hand and first and foremost to pick his brain.

I’ve learned a lot since then and will share as much of my knowledge as I can with all of you at the seminar tomorrow. Remember when I told you in my April 9th blog that shade from a tree as compared to that of a building acts differently on turf grass? Well, it works differently too on plants and I’ll be discussing that as well.
At the nursery we have a wide swath of varieties all suited for Northeast Ohio as long as they get a few things they must have.

Soon the nursery will be ablaze with the plants in our sales area and in our natural woodland setting in our Wolf Creek Gardens. I like the deciduous azaleas too as colors of bright yellows and oranges that are not available in evergreen types, are plentiful in the deciduous types. In fact, watch for our ads in the Trading Post, Westside Leader and the Akron Beacon Journal later on as there will be a good sale on the brilliant orange deciduous azalea aptly named, Mandarin Lights.

See you tomorrow,
Tom

No comments: