Friday, February 12, 2010

Dayton "Dirt" - February 12, 2010

I think everyone enjoyed the herb seminar last week and now it’s time to move on to small fruit. It seems that so many of our seminars center around eating and food but so what?

Planting and growing fresh vegetables and fruits is a large part of why we garden and the other at least as important part of gardening is pleasure. I always knew a fair amount about small fruits but did I ever get an education when I started studying the updates.

So many varieties of strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries, etc. are available, it just boggles the mind. For me it’s like studying in school again on what’s going so that I can pass on everything to all of you.
About the same time last year I spoke to you about blueberries and I will touch on this subject again although this seminar will be an expanded one covering more of the small fruit realm.

Almost everyone has enough space for these small fruits in their yard and another fact about them that makes them so great is that they are perennial members of the garden that continue to grow and develop to provide a harvest year after year after year.

Hope you can come tomorrow!

Tom

No comments: